Glendale High School Quill Springfield, Missouri

Quill

Concrete Jungle

Journalism students take on the Big Apple.

Cally Chisholm, Design Editor

Life is all about new experiences. This year, I was fortunate to go on a trip to New York City for the first time with some of my fellow Quill members and friends on Yearbook. We were able to participate in Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s spring journalism conference at Columbia University. Quill was awarded a Silver Crown Award for the 2014-2015 year, landing us a spot in the top 20 percent of all entries.

Before this trip, I had never stepped in an airport or plane. This was my first time flying, and though I was intimidated by the security, I felt eager to feel my ears pop during takeoff, and see the flight attendants demonstrate how to properly buckle a seatbelt. The flights were smooth for the most part, and before we knew it, we were in New York. The stark differences between Springfield and New York were immediately evident.

New York was everything I had imagined it to be: diverse, noisy, extravagant, scattered and a bit smelly. As we walked around in the chilly weather, I was able to people watch and hear a variety of different languages being spoken within feet of each other. Before I went to New York, I had never heard so many arguments in Chinese or Spanish.

Riding the subway became our mode of transportation. I bought my first MetroPass and gripped my cold fingers around the germy pole while trying to maintain my balance. While on the train, I felt a sense of comradery with the other people in there with us. I felt it with the businessman who kept checking his watch as if he were late, and the guy squished next to me on the seat, waiting for the next stop. It was a connection I’ve never felt with strangers before.

We were able to visit the 9/11 memorial, see the Statue of Liberty, walk through Times Square, and I was even able to see the iconic “Seinfeld” restaurant. Although we were able to enjoy the sights and sounds of New York in our spare time, our main purpose in New York was the journalism conference.

Quill and Yearbook split up into several groups and took part in different classes about how journalists cover politics, how to be a good leader, typography, and there was even a class called “Headline Bling.” Columbia University is a prestigious Ivy League school with a beautiful campus.  It was a great experience seeing so many students come together to celebrate journalism in the media capitol of the world.

Some of the people giving the lectures had made it in the professional journalism world, and they shared their experiences working for Wall Street, Entertainment Tonight, and one lady mentioned how she interviewed the Avengers and got to go to a Tony’s after party. Hearing their stories inspired me to continue to work hard in college to get a job that I love.

As a senior, it’s upsetting to know that my time at Glendale is limited. Though some may be happy to go, I will miss the opportunities this school gave me. The fact that Glendale has an outstanding journalism department is why I was able to go to New York in the first place. Don’t let high school pass by without taking advantage of the opportunities Glendale can give.

• Showcase

Fall Sports Roundup 2017

• Features

The Nest Wave of Falcons

• Concrete Jungle

Features

150 Years of Springfield Public Schools

• Concrete Jungle

News

Lives in Balance

• Features

Road to Citizenship

• Concrete Jungle

Features

Time Traveler

• News

Domestic Violence

• Features

Trending Now: Summer Edition

• Features

Club Achievements

• Concrete Jungle

Features

Faculty of the Year

Concrete Jungle