Glendale High School Quill Springfield, Missouri

Quill

Dancing Queens

Hiliary Viguet, Reporter

Recognized for their elaborate dances and sparkling aura, the Glendale Crimson Girls recently brought their talent and teamwork across the nation to compete in the National Dance Alliance (NDA) Championship for high school dance teams.

After competing in Orlando, Florida, the last weekend of February, the Crimson Girls earned the ranking of seventh place in the large varsity jazz division.

“I gained a lot of confidence and pride in our team,” Emily Downie, sophomore Crimson Girl, said. “I think we thought we could never accomplish something so big, but then we got there and realized ‘Oh, wow, we are pretty good if we are able to do this.’”

The road to Nationals for this group of 15 dancers started back in June when they were chosen at an NDA dance camp to advance to the National competition.

After receiving this offer, the team had to determine their plans.

“All year we had been disagreeing,” Sydney Martin, senior Crimson Girl, said. “Some of the girls wanted to go to Nationals; some of them didn’t. It was a big ordeal to finally get to go.”

After agreeing to compete, the group committed fully to learning routines and taking further steps, like fundraising.

“We had a fundraiser at Drury where we sold ice cream, and we performed at their games,” Downie said. “We did a raffle at a football game, and each year we have a clinic for little girls, which is our main fundraiser.”

The team began working on their selected routines around November, and put forth a lot of time and effort to perfect them during the months leading up to the competition.

The two routines they performed fell under the category of large varsity pom and then large varsity jazz, the latter being the routine that took them to finals on the last day of the competition.

“On Saturday, we did prelims for jazz, and we found out later that day that we made it to finals,” Martin said. “On Sunday, we danced for finals in jazz and got seventh place.”

Their winning routine showcased not only physical talent, but also emotion.

“We were all really strong and powerful,” Downie said. “I’ve never seen us dance like that. We could feel each others’ energy. I think that’s what sets us apart.”

Martin believes the experience at Nationals provided the team with a sense of unity.

“I think we gained a sense of how to work together better as a team,” Martin said. “Something the judges marked us down for was uniformity, so we really pulled together and learned to help each other out.”

Downie has high standards set for the team in the coming years after reaching such an accomplishment.

“I hope to get even higher places at Nationals, and our main goal would be to get the National Championship, which would be awesome,” Downie said. “[My goal is] just to improve and make everyone feel welcome on the team.”

• Showcase

Fall Sports Roundup 2017

• Features

The Nest Wave of Falcons

• Dancing Queens

Features

150 Years of Springfield Public Schools

• Dancing Queens

News

Lives in Balance

• Features

Road to Citizenship

• Dancing Queens

Features

Time Traveler

• News

Domestic Violence

• Features

Trending Now: Summer Edition

• Features

Club Achievements

• Dancing Queens

Features

Faculty of the Year

Dancing Queens