Glendale High School Quill Springfield, Missouri

Quill

Let’s Talk Politics

Glendale students give their thoughts on the upcoming election.

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaks at a rally at University of North Carolina, in Greensboro, N.C., Thursday, Sept. 15, 2016.  (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaks at a rally at University of North Carolina, in Greensboro, N.C., Thursday, Sept. 15, 2016. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

AP

AP

Anna Fredrick, Reporter

No matter which political side you support it’s obvious that this election is unlike any other. From slogans such as “Make America Great Again” and “I’m with Her” this election stands out. The media has played a much bigger role this time around than ever before. Whole news networks, such as Fox News and MSNBC, are solely dedicated to one political bias. At every turn they are there to put a completely different spin on an event or bring to light yet another “scandal”.

This election is also different from most because the candidates are very different. Hillary Clinton had years of political experience whereas this is Donald Trump’s first political endeavour. Clinton has served as the First Lady of the United States, the Senator of New York, and the Secretary of State during President Barack Obama’s term. Trump is most notably a real estate developer and a reality television personality. Clinton regularly talks about Trump’s lack of experience and how America needs someone with knowledge about running a country. Trump shines light on the fact that Clinton is “crooked” and a career politician just like every other politician in America.

One thing that is completely revolutionary about this election is the possibility to have not only the first female president in the history, but to have the first female president whose spouse has already been President of the United States. On the flip side, if Trump were to become president he would join Ronald Reagan in becoming the president with not much prior political experience.

Across the country this election is the topic of conversation. Like in any other election, there are main issues that people have concerns about. These issues include things such as immigration, the economy, gun rights, and border control. Each candidate takes a different stand on each issue, as well as each voter. This is what some Glendale students has to say about their stance.

Rylee Boone

“I am supporting Hillary Clinton. Ideally I would support Bernie but we have to vote with who the candidates are and in America we have a two party system, and so voting for an independent is basically wasting your vote. I support Hillary obviously because she actually has a history in politics because this is a country, not a business. Since she has a history in politics she will actually know what to do and Donald Trump is not qualified. Hillary hasn’t filed for bankruptcy three times and claiming that Trump is an amazing business man isn’t the point, this is a country not a business. He has said a lot of really bad things attacking a lot of minorities and I don’t feel like he is prepared or qualified to lead this country. I think a history in politics is needed to be president. She is very knowledgable  about the position so she will know what to do. I think that it is very important for a president to control their temper which Hillary has done and Donald Trump has not at all. I think it is really important for them to be a good leader and since Hillary held the position as Secretary of State she knows how to lead and has done it before and proven to be successful at it.”

Connor Skinner

“I support Donald J. Trump for President of the United States. I support him because how he is going to go about the issues in our country is what we need. We need a strong government to enforce our laws that have been kind of been put off for a long time. We need our border to be either renewed or replaced, or reworked. At this point it’s not really working with our illegal immigration. We also, looking at our twenty trillions dollars in debt, need someone in business and someone who knows how to work with numbers cut spending and get moving. Someone who is kind of an outcast would make a good president. People like Hillary Clinton have lobbyists who pay her to say things and Donald  Trump says some very offending things but he’s not afraid to say it. That’s what we need when we are dealing with foreign governments and other people. It’s time for America- the fighting force of the world-to put the foot down and say no to some people. That’s what we need in our country if we want to remain number one. If not, we are going to need to get comfortable because someone is going to get in front of us and take control.”

• Showcase

Fall Sports Roundup 2017

• Features

The Nest Wave of Falcons

• Let’s Talk Politics

Features

150 Years of Springfield Public Schools

• Let’s Talk Politics

News

Lives in Balance

• Features

Road to Citizenship

• Let’s Talk Politics

Features

Time Traveler

• News

Domestic Violence

• Features

Trending Now: Summer Edition

• Features

Club Achievements

• Let’s Talk Politics

Features

Faculty of the Year

Let’s Talk Politics