Glendale High School Quill Springfield, Missouri

Quill

Person of the Year

Arthur’s dedication to her studies, sports and extracurricular activities make her Glendale’s exceptional person this year.

Roni Norbury

Roni Norbury

Emma Schneider, Reporter

You may recognize her voice on the morning announcements, her cheerful yell at Friday night football games and her friendly face passing in the halls. For most at Glendale, Kate Arthur, senior, is someone we simply call a friend.

From the start of her freshman year in 2013, Arthur has become one of the most involved students in the Glendale student body, giving back to a school she calls family. Student Council, softball, soccer, robotics, FCCLA, Student Advisory Board, as well as the Quest program are the extracurricular and academic outlets she has pursued throughout high school.

“Ever since my freshman year, I knew that getting involved would help you have a better experience overall at Glendale,” Arthur said. “So starting then, I got involved in StucCo, and that’s how I’m now involved in Cabinet. Being in Cabinet just helps you get to know everyone at Glendale.”

As student body Vice President, she has been able to play a deeper role in making the school a better place.

“Having the opportunity to be on Cabinet and be the student body Vice President, I have been able to be more a part of the senior class and reach out to more seniors than I have all throughout high school,” Arthur said.

The experiences of participating in many clubs and athletics have been an integral part in her high school career, one of which being her connections with the people she has met.

“I have made a lot of new friends by doing all of my extracurricular activities,” Arthur said. “A lot of my teammates and I have become really close because we spend a lot of time together with away games, home games and practicing everyday.”

Next fall, Arthur has signed to play soccer at Greenville College in Illinois. She plans to pursue a career in Prosthetics and Orthotics, with a focus on the engineering and programming of Prosthetics rather than doctor-to-patient work.

“Greenville just has a lot of support,” Arthur said. “It’s a Christian college, so not only will I have the support of Jesus, but I’ll have my soccer teammates and our coaches. Everyone there is super connected, kind of like Glendale. I felt like it was the right fit for me.”

As a student in the graduating class of 2017, Arthur is grateful for the opportunities Glendale has provided her and will cherish the memories she has made.

“Glendale has prepared me for the future by allowing me to do all kinds of presentations and projects that I wouldn’t have been able to do if I wasn’t involved in Quest,” Arthur said. “Glendale has allowed me to make lifelong friends, connections with teachers, and community partners. These connections will help me in the future.”

Arthur has proven to be a diligent, hardworking student who has become a dedicated representation of what a true Falcon is supposed to be. She gives insight for future generations on how to make the most of any high school experience.

“Whenever you hear about the first meetings or hear about any meetings, just go,” Arthur said. “Even if you go by yourself it’s a great way to meet new people, and some of those people end up being your best friends. Get involved early on, and stay involved throughout your high school career.”

Not only has Glendale benefitted from Arthur’s sense of pride and commitment, but she will remain someone who her classmates, teachers and administrators will remember for years to come.

“I think Glendale has the best spirit in town, definitely,” Arthur said. “I wouldn’t want to go to high school anywhere else. There is just something about Glendale that it’s like a family aspect, and it really is a family thing.”

• Showcase

Fall Sports Roundup 2017

• Features

The Nest Wave of Falcons

• Person of the Year

Features

150 Years of Springfield Public Schools

• Person of the Year

News

Lives in Balance

• Features

Road to Citizenship

• Person of the Year

Features

Time Traveler

• News

Domestic Violence

• Features

Trending Now: Summer Edition

• Features

Club Achievements

• Person of the Year

Features

Faculty of the Year

Person of the Year