Glendale High School Quill Springfield, Missouri

Quill

Club Achievements

A look at what Glendale clubs accomplished in the 2016-2017 school year.

Emma Schneider, Reporter

Band

Marching Band competed and accomplished great things in the fall.

“We went to the Maple Leaf Parade, and did really well in that,” Josh Lundien, senior trumpet player said. “We went to another competition and made it into finals, which is the first time Glendale has done so in eight years.”

The amazing bond that the band students have is what makes them truly stand out in the school and community.

“I enjoy hanging out with my friends and playing beautiful music,” Lundien said.

Speech and Debate

Glendale Speech and Debate have made a name for itself by creating strides in awards and competitions.

“We went to about 11 individual tournaments, that are just like practicing,” Gillian Hoogstraet, junior said. “Then we had our districts tournament for MSHSSA, and our districts tournament for NSTA.”

Students have proven that through hard work, extreme diligence and dedication,  lasting success is achievable.

“Individually I have done extremely well,” Hoogstraet said. “My partner Gunner Noble and I both qualified to the MSHSSA state competition in April and we are both going. We are also both going to Nationals in Policy Debate, as well. As a team we did really awesome this year. We qualified eight different people to nationals so far, and we are going to have another Congress and Big Questions Tournament, so we’ll have the potential to qualify seven more people.”

FBLA

Future Business Leaders of America spent the year giving back to the Springfield community.

“We did a lot of community service projects,” Alexys Carroll, senior said. “We cleaned Sunset Street, and we helped out with the toy wrapping in December, which was called Help Give Hope.”

State Competition was held April 2-4 at Missouri State University.

“I did the testing part,” Carroll said. “So I just took a test prior to the competition and then I went to the awards ceremony. Depending on if I placed or not, then I would go from Districts, to State, to Nationals. There’s the other part of performance events where you also take a test, give a presentation to a panel of judges and that also places you to see if you’ll go on further.”

Students use their business skills and gain insight into the world of business practices.

“I think it [FBLA] gives you real world experience outside of the classroom, like dealing with businesses,” Carroll. “You take tests and for a lot of people they could tour accounting practices and then hear guest speakers that are from the certain occupations you could go to if you took certain business classes at Glendale. It was really cool to have that experience of people that are in that profession and can give you advice and knowledge about what you would do if you were to go into that profession.”

Envirothon

Envirothon has made a huge impact by raising awareness to the environmental issues threatening the community and world. Students apply their passion for the environment and knowledge through science and research.

“We research specific subjects, there’s five different sections,” Chloe Jones, junior said. “We have a team and each person is designated one of those to research, and then we compete in that area.”

At the beginning of the school year, Envirothon competed and placed fourth in competition.

Jones prides herself and the students involved in Envirothon for being advocates of maintaining a clean and efficient biosphere.

“I really like the people in Envirothon, and enjoy researching the environment,” Jones said.

Choir

Glendale Chamber Choir and Dante Deo traveled to Orlando, Florida in March for competition. Together, with their powerful vocals and harmony, they were able to accomplish great things.

“We took our Women’s choir, which is Dante Deo, and our Chamber Choir which is mixed,” Morgan Fahrlander, senior said. “We did really well and got Gold in both of our categories.”

From performing concerts, to opening school assemblies with the Alma Mater, the choir has brought joy to the school community and established a lasting spirit through song.

“I love all of the positive energy that Mrs. Lyons brings and the passion she has,” Fahrlander said. “Personally, I love to sing and being able to share my passion with everyone else who has the same love for it.”

HOSA

Health Occupation Students of America learn skills necessary for a career in the medical field.

“In HOSA we have meetings where we talk about things that relate to the medical field, or we do events like CPR and First Aid to learn skills that relate to professions that go into medicine,” Claire Ellerman, senior president said.

On March 27 and 28, the team competed at State in Rolla, Missouri. Four people qualified to go to Nationals in three events: Amanda Blue and Karli Haynes got 3rd place in their event “Forensic Medicine”; Emma Donegan got 3rd place in her event “Sports Medicine”; and Claire Ellerman got 1st place in “Extemporaneous Writing”.

For Ellerman, interacting with like-minded individuals who have a common interest in the medical field gives her a reason to strive for the best.

“I enjoy the comradery and friendship of knowing people that are interested in the same things everyone else is interested in the club,” Ellerman said. “It’s just nice to have people that know what they want to do and go into.”

Orchestra

In January, All State Orchestra was held at the Tan-Tar -A resort in Branson, Missouri.

“I got to play in the All State Orchestra, alongside Hannah Trammell and Erica Roberts,” Bella Salerno, senior said.

The Glendale Orchestra was awarded a Gold rating by judges at competition in Orlando, Florida in late March. Overall, they took 2nd place.

For Salerno, playing the violin has proven to be a beneficial part of her life.

“I think it’s a really good talent and skill to have because it’s something you can take with you throughout your entire life,” Salerno said. “Orchestra in general brings people together, we all have something in common, and that’s where my closest friends are.”

FCCLA

Family Career and Community Leaders of America apply knowledge from all areas of life to real-world experiences.

“We fundraise to pay for our dues to go to competitions,” Lindsey Appleby, senior said. “We work on projects where you get to pick which category you want to go under. For my partner and I, that was Life Event Planning. You get to work with people in the community to accomplish your task and then present to a panel of judges. The goal is to advance to State and hopefully advance to Nationals.”

Regionals was held in the early fall of 2016, and State was held at Tan-Tar-A Resort on March 19.

“This year I went to regionals and won gold, advancing to State,” Appleby said. “At State, I also took gold and placed fourth out of fifteen. It was a very fun time.”

Engaging and working with diverse people in the community is one aspect that draws students to the club.

“I enjoy just getting to work on a project that is more personal and that is not for a grade or specified by a teacher,” Appleby said. “To be able to go to these competitions and meet people from all over Missouri and the nation is so much fun and you get to know a lot of people.”

DECA

Glendale DECA is a national organization that revolves around a range of different events, such as marketing, business, financials, hospitality and tourism.

The group has achieved success throughout the school year, and there is no doubt that they will strive for greatness in years to come.

“This year I made 2016/2017 DECA Officer for our school and I’m the director of advertising,” Kaysie Obrecht, senior said. “This year I have been to District and State competition, and last year I went to District, State and International Competition. I competed with the Learn and Earn Project, and also this year I ran to be a District II State Officer, which was a great experience.”

From running The Nest to taking fun trips and competing, DECA has created a lasting bond for the many students involved.

“DECA is just a group of people who can all come together with a like-interest,” Obrecht said. “It’s honestly a huge family—that’s just what DECA means to me.”

Culinary

Within the Glendale Culinary team, the heat of passion for cooking extravagant meals is high. By learning the art of cuisine, students are able to take their passion and compete at district, state, and international competitions.

“We usually practice two to three times per week, and we have a set menu,” Payton Polino, senior said. “So we’ll just cook that menu fully through at one practice, or we’ll work on one specific thing for the menu during practice.”

ProStart, a premiere competition for high school students studying culinary arts, allows students to demonstrate their knowledge and skills in front of industry leaders.

“We got second place at Prostart, which was a really big deal,” Polino said. “Then, one of our teams made it to State in FCCLA, so that was also another big accomplishment.”

Culinary gives students the opportunity to practice skills and talents not normally used in other clubs.

“I like culinary because you get to do something you usually wouldn’t do, and work with people you probably would never get to work with if you didn’t do culinary,” Polino said.

Club Achievements