Glendale High School Quill Springfield, Missouri

Quill

Filed under Archives

Spring Sports Round-Up

A look at the upcoming spring sports of 2014

Tennis:

The Glendale Boys tennis team has seen its fair share of talent, this year consisting of senior Luke Hansen and junior Micah Klousia. Sophomores Spencer Weller and Hayden Fulk make up the top four along with Klousia and Hansen.

Last year the boys won conference and districts, with Klousia placing third at state. Their loss to Rockbridge kept the team from going to state, making them big rivals along with Kickapoo. Hansen, who has played since he was 6, has big expectations for the team’s successes this season.

“The underclassmen are bringing a lot of talent this year,” Hansen said. “The sophomores have gotten better and stronger as players, even since their freshman year.”

Hansen was doubles partners with John Nahon last season, and will play doubles with Klousia in the upcoming season.

The team’s practices begin March 3 and matches will starting March 27.

Golf:

Having lost only one varsity player in the last two years, the Glendale golf team has depth and experience on the varsity team this year. Brian Cauldwell is one of few seniors, making the team very young.

“Even though we are young, we have a few really good players like Baron Weaver, Chris Obert and Sam Holmes,” said Cauldwell. “Our only weakness will be that we are young.”

Here at Glendale, it doesn’t matter what sport you play, Kickapoo will always be a team that they will want to beat.

“Kickapoo lost two players from last year so I think this year will be different from years past,” said Cauldwell.

On top of trying to get his team to state, Cauldwell is focusing on personally doing well the entire season.

“I don’t want to set just one certain goal, but we can do a lot of great things,” said Cauldwell.

Soccer:

Having played together almost their entire lives, the Glendale girl’s soccer team is closer then ever this year.

“We are all really good friends off the field so that chemistry transfers through during games,” said Abby Greene, senior and a team captain this year. “We expect to grow closer as a team and work hard as one unit.”

Being such a young team, the upperclassmen have their work cut out for them when it comes to leadership roles.

“The seniors will lead the team and the underclassmen will play a huge role throughout the season,” said Greene. “We are a very young team but that helps us grow closer together by encouraging each other.”

Greene and the entire soccer team are hoping for great fan support during games.

“Kickapoo is always going to be a huge rival for us as well as Nixa, so we hope to get a huge student section, especially to those games,” said Greene.

Track:

The last few years, Glendale’s Track team has been very successful. Senior Justin Starks says he hopes this year is his year to shine.

“I’m just focusing on getting my times down every meet, and getting better.” Starks said.

Starks will be attending college for track and field.

The Glendale Track and Field team has always had a strong group of long-distance boys.

“They usually bring in a lot of points for us,” Starks said. “They’re probably our greatest strength.”

For the girls, there are many athletes to be looking out for. One who stands out is Teaira Clancy. Teaira ran on the varsity level last year as a freshman. This year, Clancy has gotten more confident and is ready for the leadership.

Baseball:

After the varsity baseball team took the conference champs title last year, the team is looking to improve even more this year.

“We are going to have a solid pitching rotation and I believe our defense is going to be amazing,” said junior Chandler Collins.

Even though Glendale’s defense will be on point this year, the baseball team will have difficulty when it comes to offense.

“We will face really good pitchers this year and we are going to have to hit the ball very well,” said Collins.

On top of trying to get to state, Collins has many personal goals for this season.

“I hope to be the best leader I can be and be the best player on the varsity level as I can be,” said Collins.

The baseball team also has plenty of other standouts including Austin Huff, Kyle Larsen, Garrett Holiman and Brad Nutter.

The Falcons will open up their season at home against Jefferson City.

Bowling:

As the only senior on the team, Cannon Ousley is hoping for another winning season this year.

“My expectations for this season is for us to go out there and win like we have been for the past five years and capture another state title,” said Ousley.

Glendale has had the same bowling coach since its creation in 2009, and Ousley believes that is one of the team’s greatest strengths.

“We definitely have one of the more experienced coaches out there,” said Ousley. “Team size is our weakness this year; we have a smaller team this year than in the past.”

Other members of the bowling team to look out for are Amber Guilliams, junior, Andrew Tresemer, junior, and Aaron Guilliams, freshman.

Spring Sports Round-Up